The traffic and insights feature will be leaving Dropbox in October 2021.
For thorough file and analytics tracking, we recommend using DocSend as an alternative.
This feature is only available to customers on Dropbox Professional, Business Advanced, and Enterprise plans.
Traffic and insights let you track how files you’ve shared have been viewed or downloaded. You can confirm links and invitations have been received, and see how they’re used.
To see traffic and insights for shared files:
- Sign in to dropbox.com
- Click All files or Shared in the left sidebar.
- Click the name of a shared file to open its preview.
- Click the Traffic and insights tab to view stats.
Stats for the current week are displayed on the right, including Total views and Total downloads, with a graph of activity by day. Click the right or left arrow near the date range to display stats for a different week.
If you’re on a Dropbox Business team, you can filter the stats by people on your team, people outside your team, or everyone, using the dropdown arrow above the Views and Downloads graph.
Note: Stats are only available for the last 90 days, and for files that you own.
When you view metrics for shared links, you’ll see how many times a file has been viewed or downloaded. When a recipient accesses your file from a direct sharing invitation, you’ll also see:
- Their name
- Whether they viewed or dowloaded your file
- When they accessed your file
- The device they used
Note: People who access your file via a shared link will be listed as “Guest” and their device will not be shown.
Traffic and insights admin settings
By default, members of Dropbox Business teams can view traffic and insights for files owned by their team, as long as they have edit access to those files. Admins can change this setting in the admin console at any time.
To change viewer info settings for your team:
- Sign in to dropbox.com with your admin credentials.
- Click Admin console in the left sidebar.
- Click Settings.
- Click Viewer info.
- Change the dropdown to Off by default or Off completely.
- Off by default: Team members can turn viewer info on for files or folders they own.
- Off completely: Team members can't turn viewer info on for files or folders they own.
- Save changes.
Learn more about viewer info.