You can search for content in your Dropbox account by:
- File name
- People who have edited a file
- File contents (Dropbox Plus, Family, Professional, Standard, Advanced, and Enterprise customers only)
- Image contents (Dropbox Professional, Standard, Advanced, and Enterprise customers only)
How to search your Dropbox files
To search your files on dropbox.com:
- Sign in to dropbox.com.
- Click the search bar at the top.
- Start typing what you’d like to search for. Search results will appear as you type. You can either click one of those results or press the enter/return key on your keyboard to see all results.
In the Dropbox desktop app
To search your files in the Dropbox desktop app:
- Click the Dropbox icon in your taskbar (Windows) or menu bar (Mac).
- Click the search icon (magnifying glass) at the top.
- In the search bar that appears, start typing what you’d like to search for. Search results will appear as you type.
- The desktop app will display up to 20 search results. To see all results, click View on dropbox.com in the upper-right. This will automatically open the full search results on dropbox.com.
- If you open a file or folder from your search results that’s not locally synced, it will open on dropbox.com instead of your Dropbox folder in File Explorer/Finder.
On the Dropbox mobile app
To search your files on the Dropbox mobile app:
- Open the Dropbox mobile app.
- Tap the Search your files box. Files at the bottom.
- Type what you’d like to search for.
- Tap Search or wait for the results.
How to filter your search results
You can filter your search results on dropbox.com by folder and content type.
- To filter by a specific folder, click Any folder above the search results, navigate to the folder you’d like to filter by, and click Select.
- To filter by a specific type of content, click By type above the search results and click the checkbox next to the type(s) of content you’d like to filter by.
- If you have the Creative Tools Add-On, you can also filter by image properties. To filter by image properties, click Image properties above the search results and use the dropdown options below Date taken and Dimensions to select the image properties you’d like to filter by.