You must have an active email address to create a Dropbox account. Dropbox also requires that you have access to this email address to change your account password. This security procedure allows us to protect your account against unauthorized access.
If you can’t access the email address associated with your Dropbox account, we can’t help you regain access to your account. Check the steps in this article to try to regain access to your Dropbox account.
If you’re not sure what your Dropbox email address is, learn how to find your Dropbox account email address.
1. Sign in to Dropbox when you know your password
If you lost access to the email address associated with your Dropbox account but still remember your password, try to sign in to your Dropbox account and then immediately change your email address.
I see an error saying that my password expired
Dropbox will occasionally reset passwords as a proactive security measure to protect accounts. To know if this is the issue affecting your account, try signing in to your Dropbox account again, and comparing the message you see to this error message.
- If you don't see this error message, and you don't have access to the email address or password on your Dropbox account, then we can't help you regain access to that account
- If you do see this error message, and you've already received an email response from us, reply to that email and explain that you're seeing this error message
2. Contact your email service provider
If you can’t sign in to your account, try contacting your email service provider (ESP) to regain access to your email account.
Only your ESP would have the ability and authorization to help you regain access to your email address. Dropbox is not an ESP, and can’t contact ESPs on your behalf.
3. Reset your Dropbox password on a linked device
If you can’t sign in to your account, and you don’t have access to your email address, you can reset your password by following these instructions:
- Try to sign in to dropbox.com or the Dropbox app with your expired password.
- If you can’t log in, click I can’t recover my account using this page at the bottom.
- Click Yes.
- Click Send notifications. This sends notifications to all your linked devices.
- When you see the notification on your linked device, click Details.
- Click Continue (web) or Yes (mobile).
- Enter your a new email address.
- Click Submit.
You’ll receive a password reset link in your new email’s inbox. Click Reset password. Then, enter your new password and click Submit.
After you reset your password, your Dropbox account email will be switched to your new email.
4. What to do if none of the above has worked
If you have lost access to the email address on your Dropbox account and can’t change the password, then for security reasons we can’t help you regain access to that account. Only your email service provider (ESP) can help you regain access to an email account. If your ESP is able to help you regain access, you can then request a password reset link for your Dropbox account.
New to Dropbox?
Whether you're new to Dropbox or just need a refresher, get the most from your Dropbox account by taking advantage of our self-guided learning or virtual instructor-led training classes.