You can earn free extra storage when you invite your friends to try Dropbox.
- Dropbox Basic accounts get 500 MB per referral and can earn up to 16 GB
- Dropbox Plus accounts get 1 GB per referral and can earn up to 32 GB
How to accept a referral
After you refer someone, they’ll need to complete the following steps before you both receive the extra storage space.
- Click the link in the referral email or the link that was shared with you, and follow the prompts to create a Dropbox account.
- Download and install the Dropbox desktop app.
- Sign in to the desktop app.
- Verify their account's email address.
How to check the status of your referrals
To check the status of your referrals:
- Sign in to dropbox.com.
- Click your avatar (profile picture or initials) in the top-right corner.
- Click Settings.
- Click Refer a friend.
- Scroll down to Total bonus space earned.
- Under From referrals, check the Recipient email column to view the status of a referral.
- Invitation sent: Your referral has been invited to use Dropbox but hasn't yet signed up for Dropbox.
- Waiting for install: Your referral signed up but hasn't installed or signed in from the desktop app.
- Waiting for email verification: Your referral installed and signed in to the desktop app but hasn't verified their email address.
- Completed: Both you and your referral have been credited bonus space.
- Ineligible: The recipient is ineligible for the referral program.
- This may mean that the recipient already has an account with Dropbox, or that the recipient is attempting to register with the same computer as you.
- If you feel this status is inaccurate, double-check the email address of your recipient to try again.
FAQs about referrals
Will I still get credit if my friend signs up with a different email address?
As long as your friend signs up for an account with the referral link in your invitation, you'll earn referral bonus space. They don’t need to use the email address where you sent the invite to sign up for Dropbox.
If your friend receives referrals from multiple senders, only the sender of the referral link that's used will earn bonus space.
Does sharing a folder count as a referral?
Sharing a folder doesn't count as a referral.