With the Dropbox desktop app, you can access the files and folders stored in your Dropbox account from your computer. When you download and install the Dropbox desktop app, three things are added to your computer:
- Dropbox in your taskbar (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) for quick access to your files
- The Dropbox folder in Finder (Mac) or File Explorer (Windows)
- The new Dropbox desktop app
How to open the Dropbox desktop app
Once you’ve installed the Dropbox desktop app, you can open it just like any other application on your computer—through the macOS Launchpad or Windows Start Menu.
- Open your Dropbox desktop app preferences.
- Click the dropdown next to Open folders in: and choose Finder/File Explorer or Dropbox desktop app.
To close the Dropbox desktop app completely and stop your files from syncing to your Dropbox account:
- Click the Dropbox icon in your taskbar (Windows) or menu bar (Mac).
- Click your avatar (profile picture or initials).
- Click Quit Dropbox.
Note: If you use a Mac computer and you right-click the Dropbox icon in your dock and click Quit, this only closes the desktop app, but doesn’t quit Dropbox completely or stop your files from syncing to your Dropbox account.