With the Dropbox desktop app, you can access the files and folders stored in your Dropbox account from your computer. When you download and install the Dropbox desktop app, three things are added to your computer:
- The Dropbox desktop app
- The Dropbox folder in File Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac)
- The Dropbox icon in your taskbar (Windows) or menu bar (Mac)
Open the Dropbox desktop app
Once you’ve installed the Dropbox desktop app, you can open it just like any other app on your computer—through the Windows Start menu or the macOS Launchpad.
You can choose to automatically open folders in either the Dropbox desktop app or the Dropbox folder in File Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac). To select your preference:
- Open your Dropbox desktop app preferences.
- Click the dropdown next to Open folders in: and select Dropbox desktop app or File Explorer (or Finder).
You can completely close the Dropbox desktop app and stop your files from syncing to your Dropbox account. To close the app:
- Click the Dropbox icon in your taskbar (Windows) or menu bar (Mac).
- Click your avatar (photo or initials) in the top right.
- Click Quit.
Note: If you use a Mac computer and you right-click the Dropbox icon in your dock and click Quit, this only closes the desktop app—it doesn’t completely close Dropbox or stop your files from syncing to your Dropbox account.