Securing your Dropbox devices
Find out the location of a device that's linked to your Dropbox
Dropbox logs the IP address of each device that accesses your account. You can use the IP address to discover the login location and the internet provider used.
- Sign in to dropbox.com.
- Click your avatar.
- Click Settings.
- Click Security.
- Hover over the ? (question mark) icon next to the device to see the last recorded IP address. The IP address is updated whenever a linked device connects to the internet.
You can use any IP address lookup service for more detailed information.
Note: The location information isn't always accurate. Some IP addresses might be associated with the wrong country. If the country isn't correct, you can check it using any online IP address lookup tool.
Secure your Dropbox and email account
- Change your password for your Dropbox account. Be sure to use a strong password that you don't use for any other service. When hackers obtain sensitive information from one service, they use it to access accounts at other services. This is made possible by the fact that many people use the same password across multiple services.
- Change the password to the email account that you use for your Dropbox account.
- Unlink any other unfamiliar devices, web sessions, and apps linked to your account by going to your security page.
- Set up two-step verification, which can protect your account even if your password is compromised.
Note: The Dropbox folder is just a normal folder on your computer, so it's no more or less secure than every other folder on your computer. We recommend that you follow good security practices to protect your entire computer. This includes requiring a password to log in to your account, and to resume from sleep, screen savers and lock screens.