At Dropbox, the security of your data is our highest priority. We have a dedicated security team using the best tools and engineering practices available to build and maintain Dropbox, and you can rest assured that we've implemented multiple levels of security to protect and back up your files.
You can also take advantage of two-step verification, a login authentication feature which you can enable to add another layer of security to your account.
- Dropbox files at rest are encrypted using 256-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES)
- Dropbox uses Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)/Transport Layer Security (TLS) to protect data in transit between Dropbox apps and our servers
- SSL/TSL creates a secure tunnel protected by 128-bit or higher Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) encryption
- Dropbox applications and infrastructure are regularly tested for security vulnerabilities and hardened to enhance security and protect against attacks
- Two-step verification is available for an extra layer of security at login
- If you use two-step verification, you can choose to receive security codes by text message or from any Time-Based One-Time Password (TOTP) app, such as those listed here
- Public files are only viewable by people who have a link to the file(s)
Dropbox is designed with multiple layers of protection, including secure data transfer, encryption, network configuration, and application- and user-level controls that are distributed across a scalable, secure infrastructure.
Access via third-party apps
Some third party apps with Dropbox integration will ask for permission to access your Dropbox. To grant access, you will need to log in to your Dropbox account and explicitly press the Authorize button when prompted. You can visit the Apps linked section of your account settings to review the apps you've granted permission to and revoke access at your discretion.
New to Dropbox?
Whether you're new to Dropbox or just need a refresher, get the most from your Dropbox account by taking advantage of our self-guided learning or virtual instructor-led training classes.