We highly recommend everyone take steps to improve their own safety on Dropbox and elsewhere online. Here are some common password protection techniques to keep your online accounts safe and secure.
Create unique passwords for each service you use
The safest thing to do is to choose unique passwords for each service you use and guard them closely. If you’ve ever used the same password for more than one website, you should create new unique passwords for each of them.
Tips to create strong passwords
A good password is one that is easy for you to remember but hard for a stranger to guess. Uncommon words work well, but only if you use several together. Keep these tips in mind:
- Use non-standard uppercasing (for example, “uPPercasing”).
- Use non-standard spelling (for example, “spelllllling”).
- Use personal slang words.
- Use non-obvious numbers and symbols (using “$” for “s” and “0” for “o” is fairly common and likely not enough of a security measure).
- Use longer passwords (at least 8 characters in length).