Staying organized from the start means less time tracking down and managing files like documents, photos, and videos. Here’s how to get started:
Create a folder hierarchy
- Give every file a designated home.
- Group folders and subfolders into categories that makes sense to you.
- Add or create fewer folders at the top level, then add more as you go deeper.
Any changes you make in your file or folder structure should be synced across your connected devices and the Dropbox website.
Establish a naming convention
- Alphabetical order
- Chronological order (YYYY-MM-DD)
- Numerical order
- By group (i.e., client, location, file type)
- Something that will help you remember
Add tags to files and folders
Locate file and folders quickly by adding tags. Here’s how:
- Click the checkbox to the left of the file or folder you want to tag.
- Type your tag in the # Add a tag box in the right-side panel.
- Press Return (Mac) or Enter (Windows).
To search by tag, use the search bar at the top of your screen. You can also remove tags from a selected file or folder by clicking the X to the right of the tag.