Staying organized from the start means less time tracking down and managing files like documents, photos, and videos. Here’s how to get started:
Create a folder hierarchy
- Give every file a designated home.
- Group folders and subfolders into categories that make sense to you.
- Add or create fewer folders at the top level, then add more as you go deeper.
Any changes you make in your file or folder structure appear across your connected devices and the Dropbox website.
Establish a naming convention
- Alphabetical order
- Chronological order (YYYY-MM-DD)
- Numerical order
- By group (i.e., client, location, file type)
- Something that will help you remember
Add tags to files and folders
Locate file and folders quickly by adding tags. You can tag files by:
- The topics they relate to
- The projects they’re part of
- The team(s) who owns them
To search your files and folders by tag, use the search bar at the top of your screen. You can also remove tags from a selected file or folder by clicking the X to the right of the tag.