The creator of a shared folder is automatically designated the owner, unless the folder was created in someone else’s shared folder. Owners have extra administrative functions, such as the ability to transfer ownership, remove members, and determine whether anyone else can invite people to the folder. You can find out who the owner of a folder is by going to the folder's options.
How to view a folder owner
To view a folder owner:
- Sign in to dropbox.com.
- Hover over the folder you’d like to determine the owner of and click the share icon (rectangle with arrow pointing up).
- Click Who can access.
On the Dropbox desktop app:
- Open the Dropbox folder in File Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac).
- Right-click the folder you’d like to determine the owner of and select Share….
On the Dropbox mobile app:
- Open the Dropbox mobile app.
- Tap the “⁝” (vertical ellipsis on Android) or “…” (ellipsis on iPhone/iPad) next to the folder you’d like to determine the owner of.
- Tap Folder settings.
- Tap the area below [x] members.
This will show all members of the shared folder and specify who is the owner.
Note: If you’re a member of a Dropbox team account and don't see an owner listed, the folder is either owned by admins on your team, or by someone outside your team. Contact your admin to find out if the folder is admin-owned.