Anyone who has access to a Dropbox file can leave a comment and view other comments, unless commenting is turned off.
New to Dropbox? See how you can easily add annotations to your collaborative work.
How to comment on a file
You can comment on a file from your browser, mobile device, or desktop app. To do so:
- Open the file you want to comment on.
- To comment on the entire file, click or tap the text box that says Comment.
- You can type your comment, @ mention someone, or add an emoji
- Click Post.
How to comment on a specific part of a file
You can comment on a specific part of a file if you're on dropbox.com and working on a supported file type. To do so:
- Open the file you want to comment on. You'll see a pop-up message that says Select an area to comment on.
- Drag to highlight the desired area.
- Click the text box that says Write a comment, type your comment, and click Post.
Learn how to comment on a specific time in a video or audio file.
How to edit or delete a comment
You can only edit or delete comments that you posted yourself. To edit or delete a comment:
- Click the desired comment.
- Click Edit or Delete.
How to hide the comment pane
To hide the comment pane:
- Open the desired file.
- Click the Comments icon.
To show the comment pane, click the Comments icon again.
How are comments ordered in the comment pane?
Comments are listed in chronological order from the start of the file to the end of the file. If the file has multiple pages, the comments will indicate which page the comment was left on.
Who is notified when I leave a comment?
The following people will receive an email and a notification both on dropbox.com and on their connected devices:
- The file owner
- Anyone who has subscribed to the file
- Anyone who has commented on the comment thread
- Anyone who was @mentioned in the comment thread
Learn how to change your notification preferences.