Once a file is added to your Dropbox, it's synced to our secure online servers. All files stored online by Dropbox are encrypted and kept in secure storage servers. Storage servers are located in data centers across the United States. Additionally, storage servers are available in Australia, the European Union, Japan, and the United Kingdom for eligible Dropbox business users.
Learn more about how the Dropbox service works.
Can I change where my file data is stored?
If your team’s data is stored in the United States but your team’s billing address is elsewhere, you may be able to migrate your data to a server closer to your team’s billing address.
- The server location selected applies to a team's file data while stored permanently at rest. See our Security Whitepaper for more info.
- You can’t choose the location of the new server.
- Data migration can’t be undone.
To be eligible to change where your team’s file data is stored, you must:
- Be on a Dropbox Standard, Advanced, or Enterprise plan
- Have a billing address that doesn’t match the location where your data is currently stored
- Have a minimum of 10 licenses
- Be on an annual billing cycle
- Not have a migration already in progress
To change the location of the server that stores your file data:
- Sign in to dropbox.com with your admin credentials.
- Click Admin console in the left sidebar.
- Click Settings.
- Click Team profile.
- Click Change button next Localized Data Storage.
- Read the Terms and Conditions.
- Click Migrate.
You can see the progress of the migration next to Localized Data Storage. Once your data has been moved, you’ll receive a confirmation email with the new location.