You can easily restore your backed up files and folders to a new computer if things go wrong.
To restore your entire computer backup onto a new computer:
- Download the Dropbox desktop app on your new computer.
- If you have an existing backup, you’ll be prompted to restore from your backup.
- If you have more than one existing backup, select your preferred backup from the dropdown.
- Click Confirm.
- Click OK.
You can use your computer as normal while your restoration completes in the background. Once it’s complete, click OK on the notification that appears.
To only restore a part of your computer backup or any part of your external hard drive backup onto a new computer:
- Sign in to dropbox.com
- Click the grid icon in the top-left corner.
- Click Backup from the menu that appears.
- Dropbox Backup will open in a new tab.
- Click “Mac” or “PC”.
- Check the boxes next to the folders you’d like to download.
- Click Download.
You can also restore recently deleted folders within Dropbox Backup on your computer or external hard drive. To do this:
- Click the Dropbox icon in your taskbar (Windows) or menu bar (Mac).
- Click the Sync and Backups tab.
- Select the backup you’d like to restore.
- Click View backed up files.
- Click Show deleted files.
- Check the box to the left of the deleted folder (will display the trash icon) you’d like to restore.
- Click Restore.
- Click Restore all files.