You can search for files and folders using the search bar in the desktop app. Just like when you search on the Dropbox website, the desktop app search bar:
- Scans all files and folders, including Paper docs
- Scans file names, extensions, as well as the contents of your files
- Is not case sensitive
- Includes spell-correction on your search queries
- Loads search results as you type
How to use the desktop app search bar
- Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac).
- If you don’t see the Dropbox icon, it probably means that the Dropbox app is not open.
- Type a term into the search bar. The app will display up to 50 search results.
If the file or folder is synced locally to your computer, you can click the file or folder to open it in your computer's file browser (Finder if you're on a Mac or File Explorer if you're on Windows). If the file or folder is not synced locally, then it will open in the web browser on dropbox.com.
If you’d like to view your search results in the web browser on dropbox.com instead, click View on dropbox.com under the search bar.
The results page on the website initially displays up to 100 search results. If you have more matching results, they'll load in batches of 100 when you scroll to the bottom of the page until all results have loaded. Learn more about searching for files on dropbox.com.