Use the document scanning feature to create files in your Dropbox. This feature is also useful for transforming a whiteboard brainstorming session or sticky notes into documents you can share with Dropbox.
Show instructions for:
Frequently asked questions
Can I scan more than one page into a single document?
Yes. You can scan up to ten pages of a document and save the file as a single .pdf. Here’s how:
- After scanning the first page, tap the add more pages icon (two pages with a plus sign) from the Edit view.
- You can reorder the pages of your document by tapping Arrange.
- Long press on a page to drag and change its order.
Can I save a multi-page scan as a .png file?
No. Multi-page scans can only be saved as a .pdf file.
Will text be automatically detected in scanned documents?
For Dropbox Business users, OCR (optical character recognition) is available for .pdf files only. If a Dropbox Business user paired personal and work accounts, OCR is also available in their personal account. Read more in the following "For Dropbox Business users" section.
Can I use document scanning while offline?
Yes, you can scan a document while offline. Once you get an internet connection, the document uploads to your Dropbox.
For Dropbox Business and Professional users
Dropbox Business and Professional customers get access to more features for document scanning:
- Use the search bar on dropbox.com or the mobile app to full-text search scanned documents
- Copy text from within a .pdf file
Notes on full-text search and document scanning
The following content types are supported:
- Documents written in English
- Typed documents
The following content types are not supported:
- Scans created by a third-party document scanner
- Documents written in a language other than English
- Handwritten documents
- File types other than .pdf
- Documents with overly stylized text