Access your Dropbox files directly in Microsoft Teams when you add Dropbox as cloud storage. Any Dropbox user can add Dropbox as cloud storage in their Microsoft Teams account. When you add Dropbox as cloud storage, you can:
- Collaborate with Dropbox shared folder members in Teams
- Open, create, and edit Office files in your Dropbox folder using Microsoft Teams
- Map Dropbox folders to Microsoft Teams Channels
Microsoft Teams desktop app:
- Windows 8.1+
- OSX 10.10+
Microsoft Teams online:
- Microsoft Edge 12+
- Internet Explorer 11+
- Firefox 47.0+
- Chrome 51.0+
If you try to access Microsoft Teams in Safari, you're prompted to download the Teams desktop app.
Add Dropbox as cloud storage
- In Teams, choose Files.
- Click Add cloud storage.
- Select Dropbox.
- Choose the Dropbox account you want to connect to Microsoft Teams.
- Click Allow.
Map a Dropbox folder to a channel
- In Teams, choose a Channel.
- Under Files, click Add cloud storage.
- Choose a folder from Dropbox that you want to add.
- Click Add to this folder to add the folder to the channel.
All members of the channel can see the folder under the Files tab. Only members who can view or edit the folder in Dropbox can view or edit the folder in Teams.
Members who don’t have permission to view the folder see an error message when trying to access it.
Add Dropbox files to a conversation
- In your conversation, choose the paperclip icon.
- Select Dropbox.
- Choose the file you want to upload.
- Click Upload a copy.
- Choose the location to upload the file to.
- Click Upload file. The file then posted to your conversation.
You can also get a link to the file from a Dropbox folder that’s mapped to a channel:
- In the channel, choose Files.
- Choose the file you want a link to.
- Click the … (ellipsis) icon.
- Click Get link. A Microsoft Teams link copies to your clipboard.
If you paste this link into a browser, recipients need to sign in to Office Online to view the file.
Use your Dropbox files in Microsoft Teams
Open, create, and edit Office files stored in Dropbox from your Teams account. Changes made to your Dropbox files in Microsoft Teams sync everywhere you access your files in Dropbox, including dropbox.com and the Dropbox desktop and mobile apps.
Click Files in Microsoft Teams to view your Dropbox files. If you open a Microsoft Office file from your Dropbox folder in Microsoft Teams, the file opens in Office Online. If you open any other file type, you’re taken to the folder that contains that file on dropbox.com.
Note: Microsoft limits files that can open in Office Online to 160 MB.
Remove Dropbox as cloud storage
Remove Dropbox as cloud storage using dropbox.com:
- Sign in to dropbox.com.
- Click your avatar.
- Click Settings.
- Select the Security tab.
- Click the X next to the Microsoft Teams app.
Remove Dropbox as cloud storage using Microsoft Teams:
- In Microsoft Teams, click Files.
- Hover over Dropbox and click the … (ellipsis) icon.
- Click Sign out.