What to do if your files were corrupted or renamed by ransomware
If your account has been infected with ransomware, there are a few steps you can take to make sure your account is safe.
1) Unlink the device from Dropbox
Unlink the infected device connected to your Dropbox account. If you don’t know which device is infected, you can unlink every device.
2) Restore the desired files or folders
If you need to restore an individual file:
- Go to your file’s version history page.
- Select a version of the file before the ransomware took effect.
- Click Restore.
If you need to restore a large number of files:
3) Re-link your device
Learn how to re-link your device.
Before re-linking your device, we recommend that you:
- Make sure your device is free of malware
- Delete the Dropbox folder with the previously encrypted files
- When you re-link your device, you’ll download the recovered files from Dropbox instead of the encrypted ones
If you're still worried about your Dropbox account, contact us and we'll do whatever we can to help.