Your Dropbox password expires periodically, as a proactive security measure. If your password has expired, you’ll need to update it before you can access your Dropbox account, sign in on a new device, or connect an API app.
If your password has expired, you’ll see this message the next time you try to sign in to dropbox.com:
Update an expired password
To update an expired password:
- Try to sign in to dropbox.com with your expired password.
- When you see the message above, enter the email address associated with your Dropbox account.
- Click Send Email.
You should receive an email with a link to change your password. Click the link in this email, and follow the prompts to reset your password.
Note: If you initiate a password update but don't receive the follow-up email, check the spam folder of your email account. If the email isn't there, add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contacts or address book and repeat the steps to reset your password.
Reset an expired password on a device you're signed into
If you have lost access to the email address associated with your Dropbox account, you can update both your password and email address on a device you’re signed into. To do so:
- Try to sign in to dropbox.com in a web browser with your expired password.
- If you can’t sign in, click I can’t recover my account using this page.
- Click Yes.
- Click Send notifications. Notifications will be sent to all the devices you're signed into.
- When you see the notification on the device you're signed into, click Details.
- Click Continue (desktop) or Yes (mobile).
- Enter a new email address, if necessary.
- Click Submit. You’ll receive a password reset link at your email address.
- Click Reset password in the email message.
- Enter your new password and click Submit.
If you entered a new email address, your Dropbox account will be updated with that email after you reset your password.
Keep your Dropbox account secure
In addition to resetting your password periodically, there are other steps you can take to keep your data safe:
For more resources on how to keep your accounts secure, please visit our security and privacy page.