Change an expired Dropbox password
Your Dropbox password expires periodically, as a proactive security measure. If your password has expired, you’ll need to update it before you can access your Dropbox account, log in on a new device, or connect an API app.
If your password has expired, you’ll see this message the next time you try to log in to dropbox.com:
Update an expired password
To update an expired password:
- Try to log in to dropbox.com with your expired password.
- When you see the message above, enter the email address associated with your Dropbox account.
- If you don’t see the message above, go directly to the password update page.
- Click Send Email.
You should receive an email with a link to change your password. Click the link in this email, and follow the prompts to reset your password.
Note: If you initiate a password update but don't receive the follow-up email, check the spam folder of your email account. If the email isn't there, add email@example.com to your contacts or address book and repeat the steps to reset your password.
Reset an expired password on a device you're signed into
If you have lost access to the email address associated with your Dropbox account, you can update both your password and email address on a device you’re logged into. To do so:
- Try to log in to dropbox.com in a web browser with your expired password.
- If you can’t log in, click I can’t recover my account using this page.
- Click Yes.
- Click Send notifications. Notifications will be sent to all the devices you're logged into.
- When you see the notification on the device you're logged into, click Details.
- Click Continue (desktop) or Yes (mobile).
- Enter a new email address, if necessary.
- Click Submit. You’ll receive a password reset link at your email address.
- Click Reset password in the email message.
- Enter your new password and click Submit.
If you entered a new email address, your Dropbox account will be updated with that email after you reset your password.
Keep your Dropbox account secure
In addition to resetting your password periodically, there are other steps you can take to keep your data safe:
- Create strong, unique passwords.
- Avoid reusing the same passwords across multiple services.
- Only log in to your account from secure devices, and always log out if accessing Dropbox on a non-personal device.
- Enable two-step verification on your account.
For more resources on how to keep your accounts secure, please visit our security and privacy page.
Posted by: natbar 70 days ago18710
Posted by: ovazhnev 71 days ago111710
Posted by: eandre68 76 days ago229951