The 2020 release of Dropbox Paper allows members of Dropbox Business teams to store all Paper docs in their Dropbox Business accounts with their other files and folders instead of on paper.dropbox.com.
This article answers FAQs for admins regarding the 2020 release of Paper.
What actions do admins need to take for the 2020 release of Dropbox Paper?
For organization of Paper docs, it’s recommended to have Paper docs in folders, however, it is not required. Team admins and team members will receive an email from Dropbox letting them know when their teams will be getting the release and any actions that are recommended.
Can my team start using the 2020 release right away?
Dropbox will invite users to opt in on their own prior to the release. Be on the lookout for news about this option in your email and on the Dropbox blog.
Can my team keep using the old release instead?
No. All customers will soon be using the 2020 release of Dropbox Paper.
Will everyone on the team get the 2020 release at once?
Yes, since Paper docs may be shared between different individuals in the company, everyone will be migrated at once.
Will the sharing permissions on my Paper docs stay the same?
Visit this article to find basic information about sharing permissions for the 2020 release of Paper. Any team-wide sharing settings will affect Paper docs since they will be treated as regular Dropbox files.
How will the 2020 release of Paper affect APIs and security management?
Admins will only need to maintain one set of APIs for their whole team since Paper docs will now be regular Dropbox files. Admins can use a single set of endpoints to search, share, and enumerate all team files. Any functions created with the Paper endpoints will need to be updated on your end. The original endpoints can only be used for Paper docs in the previous Paper release.
Where will Paper admin settings be after the 2020 release of Paper?
After a team is on the 2020 release of Dropbox Paper, the team admin can limit their team's ability to use Dropbox Paper.
To access the 2020 release of Paper admin settings:
- Sign in to dropbox.com with your admin credentials.
- Click Admin console.
- Click Settings.
- Click App permissions.
- Search for Paper by Dropbox to see the current permissions set.
- Check the box next to reveal Allow, Block, or Set to default.
- Turns on access for all team members to create and edit Paper docs.
- Turns off the ability to create and edit Paper docs for your entire team. However, team members can still open and view existing Paper docs.
- Removes Dropbox Paper from the Create > Document dropdown.
- Prevents your team from connecting it to Dropbox. This won’t disconnect the app for any team members who already have it connected.
- Existing Paper Docs will show View Only at the top and cannot be edited.
Set to default
- Follows the Default permission for apps listed in the App Center
- The default permission can be found at the top of the of the App Permissions setting page
For more details on app permissions, see How to manage apps for your Dropbox Business team.