Deleting your Dropbox account deletes all of your data from dropbox.com and unlinks your devices from Dropbox. When you delete your Dropbox account:
- Any computers, phones, and tablets linked to your account stop syncing
- You can't access your account on dropbox.com
- You can't edit files in shared folders
- Your files stay in the Dropbox folder on your computer
- Files you shared in shared folders are still available to folder members
- Your files are deleted from Dropbox servers
Dropbox Basic, Plus, and Professional users
- Sign in to dropbox.com.
- Click your avatar.
- Click Settings.
- Under General, click Delete account.
If you delete your account, we will initiate deletion of the Dropbox files you store on Dropbox after 30 days. If you mark a file within your account for permanent deletion, we will permanently delete it within 60 days in the normal course of operations.
If you cancel a Dropbox Plus or Professional subscription, then your account becomes a Dropbox Basic account. You can then permanently delete your account.
Important note: Deleting a Dropbox Basic, Plus, or Professional account can't be undone.
Dropbox Business team admins
If you cancel a Dropbox Business subscription, then all team members will be downgraded to Dropbox Basic accounts. These accounts will still be connected through a free team. Team members can choose to leave the team at any time.
To permanently delete a team, along with all its member account data and file data, follow these steps:
- Delete all members from your team.
- Cancel your Dropbox Business subscription.
- Delete your own account.
Dropbox Business team members
If you're a Dropbox Business team member, you can't delete accounts or cancel your subscription. If you're a team member, and you'd like to delete your account, contact your team admin.
Dropbox Business team admins can delete team members. As a safety measure, team admins can recover a team member within seven days of deletion.
Alternatively, to retain the data and files associated with a deleted team member account, team admins can transfer the deleted team member’s account to another active team member.
- Files located in a deleted user's shared folders are still available to other members of the shared folder. These files can be accessed, edited, deleted, or permanently deleted by remaining shared folder members, depending on the permissions set by the team admin.
- Copies of your files are still available within your team after account deletion. Check with your team admin if you have questions about your organization's data retention polices, backup processes, or other obligations.
What happens if my work account is deleted from a Dropbox Business team?