This article addresses frequently-asked questions from people with Dropbox Basic, Plus, Family, Professional, and Business team member accounts.
Note: Team member questions are at the bottom of this article.
If you have a question that isn’t answered here, you can sign up for a free, online Dropbox training with a live instructor.
If you’re a Dropbox Business team admin, check out our FAQs for team admins.
Why aren't my files syncing?
There may be a few reasons why your files aren’t syncing. First, make sure that:
- Your computer, phone, or tablet is connected to the Internet
- You’re signed in to the same Dropbox account on those devices
- The file or folder is in the Dropbox folder on your computer
You can also watch our sync troubleshooting video.
Why does my desktop app icon disappear sometimes?
The Dropbox icon will only appear if the Dropbox desktop app is currently running. To open the Dropbox desktop app:
- Windows: Click the Start menu, then click Programs, then find and run the Dropbox app
- Mac: Open the Applications folder, then find and run the Dropbox app
- Linux: Click the Applications menu, then open the Internet folder, then find and run the Dropbox app
How do I check which plan I have?
You can check which plan you’re currently on by visiting dropbox.com/account/plan.
Do items in my deleted files take up storage space?
No, deleted files don't count against your storage space.
Can you have a shared folder within a shared folder?
You can only share a folder within another shared folder if you have a Dropbox Business account.
If you don’t have a Dropbox Business account, you can:
- Remove the subfolder from the shared folder, and then share it
- Move your folder to a regular (not shared) folder, or unshare the folder that contains it
How do I edit a file from mobile device?
You can edit certain types of files directly from the Dropbox mobile app:
- Open the Dropbox app on your mobile device.
- Tap Files.
- Tap the file you’d like to edit.
- Tap the cursor button in the lower-left corner.
If you don’t see the cursor button, it may be because you either don’t have edit access to the file or your mobile device doesn’t have the app needed to edit the file.
How is Dropbox Paper different from Google docs?
Dropbox Paper is more than an online word processor—it’s a tool that helps your team work together, all in one place.
With Dropbox Paper, you can:
- Assign to-dos and due dates to yourself or teammates
- Add any type of media or file to a doc
- Easily share a doc with anyone, even if they don’t have Dropbox
Team members: Why do I see different folders on Dropbox than my team member?
Team folders can be created and shared with different people, which may cause you to see a different set of folders than your team member.
Team members: What is the difference between the team folder and the shared folder?
A shared folder is a folder that can be created by anyone to share files.
A team folder can only be created by a Dropbox Business Team admin, who can also create subfolders within the team folder and choose which members have access to each.
Team members: How do I find out who deleted files?
Files in your Dropbox account can only be deleted by you.
Files in a shared folder can be deleted by any other member with edit access to the folder. Your team admin can view the activity log to see who deleted files in a team folder.