Dropbox Rewind is a tool that lets you take a folder or your entire account back to a specific point in time.
Will Dropbox Rewind affect members of my shared folders?
Yes, any changes made during the rewind will be reflected for all shared folder members.
What if I want a few changes back after the rewind?
If you want a few file changes back, you have two options:
- If you want deleted files back, view your Deleted files page and restore what you want to recover
- If you want a different version of a file back, view the version history of that file and restore the correct version
Can I rewind outside of my version history?
Dropbox Rewind is unable to rewind changes outside of your version history.
What if I don’t see the correct files or folders?
If you don’t see the correct files or folders after a rewind, your content may be one of the following types of file that Dropbox Rewind is unable to restore:
- Permanently deleted files or folders
- Files or folders that have View only permission
- We recommend you contact the file owner to get Can edit permission and then rewind again
- Unshared folders
Why are my files still encrypted?
Your files may still be encrypted if:
- The restored files haven’t synced to your device from dropbox.com
- You haven’t signed back in on your device after signing out
- You didn’t delete your Dropbox folder before signing back in to your device so it’s re-uploading the encrypted files
We recommend you clean your device and rewind again to a point in time before the encryption. Learn more about what to do if your files have been encrypted.
Can I restore files or folders to a new location?
Dropbox Rewind can only restore files or folders to their existing locations.
Why is there a number in parenthesis after my file name?
You may see a number, such as “(1)” or “(2)”, in a file name if:
- You make changes to a file while Dropbox is restoring it
- You add another file with the same file name while Dropbox is restoring it
The version that Dropbox restored will have a number in the file name to preserve your edits. You can compare both versions of the file and delete the one you don't need.
Dropbox Business: Can I rewind a team folder?
By default, only team admins can use Dropbox Rewind. If you are a team member and don’t see the option to rewind a team folder, contact your team admin.