Dropbox Rewind is a tool that lets you take a folder or your entire account back to a specific point in time.
Will Dropbox Rewind affect members of my shared folders?
Yes, any changes made during the rewind will be reflected for all shared folder members.
What if I want a few changes back after the rewind?
If you want a few file changes back, you have two options:
- If you want deleted files back, view your Deleted files page and restore what you want to recover
- If you want a different version of a file back, view the version history of that file and restore the correct version
Can I rewind outside of my version history?
Dropbox Rewind is unable to rewind changes outside of your version history.
What if I don’t see the correct files or folders?
If you don’t see the correct files or folders after a rewind, your content may be one of the following types of file that Dropbox Rewind is unable to restore:
- Permanently deleted files or folders
- Files or folders that have View only permission
- We recommend you contact the file owner to get Can edit permission and then rewind again
- Unshared folders
Why are my files still encrypted?
Your files may still be encrypted if:
- The restored files haven’t synced to your device from dropbox.com
- You haven’t re-linked your device after unlinking
- You didn’t delete your Dropbox folder before relinking your device so it’s re-uploading the encrypted files
We recommend you clean your device and rewind again to a point in time before the encryption. Learn more about what to do if your files have been encrypted.
Can I restore files or folders to a new location?
Dropbox Rewind can only restore files or folders to their existing locations.
What does “restored” or “restore conflict” mean in my file name?
You may see "restored" or "restore conflict" in a file name if:
- You make changes to a file while Dropbox is restoring it
- You add another file with the same file name while Dropbox is restoring it
The version that Dropbox restored will have "restored" or "restore conflict" in the file name to preserve your edits. You can compare both versions of the file and delete the one you don't need.
Team Admins or Members: Can I rewind more than one team folder at a time?
To rollback multiple team folders, you must open each one and rewind it separately with the Rewind feature.
Team Admins or Members: How do I Rewind only the files and shared folders that I own?
To Rewind only the files and shared folders that you own:
- Log into dropbox.com.
- Click Files.
- Click Rewind Dropbox.
- If you log into dropbox.com and see a purple folder icon with your name on it, you will need to click into this folder first before starting a Rewind
Note: If you open a folder before starting a Rewind, you’ll see the option to Rewind folder. Choosing that option will rewind the entire folder, whether you own those files or not.
Team Admins or Members: Will everybody see the changes if I Rewind a team folder?
Yes, if you Rewind a team folder, all members will see the same files revert to older versions.