What to do if the Dropbox desktop app unexpectedly quits or is causing apps to crash
This article helps you troubleshoot issues with the Dropbox desktop app. If the Dropbox mobile app unexpectedly quits or keeps crashing, learn how to troubleshoot the mobile app instead.
This article helps you troubleshoot the Dropbox desktop app for the following issues:
- Dropbox unexpectedly quits or keeps crashing
- Dropbox is causing other applications to unexpectedly quit or crash
Note: If the Dropbox desktop app keeps quitting or crashing, you can still access the files and folders in your Dropbox account on dropbox.com.
How to troubleshoot the Dropbox desktop app
Close all other applications and restart your computer
Certain applications (like firewall, security, or antivirus software) could be causing the Dropbox desktop app to quit or crash. Close all other applications on your computer, restart your computer, and see if that fixes the problem.
If closing a particular application fixes the problem, try the following fixes:
- Update the application to the latest version
- Reinstall the application
- If the application is firewall, security, or antivirus software, give the Dropbox desktop app full permissions
- Contact that application’s customer support to see if it can be modified to allow for the Dropbox desktop app
- If the application can’t be modified to allow the Dropbox desktop app, and it isn’t needed, uninstall it
- If none of the above options fix the problem, contact Dropbox Support
If you’re on a Dropbox team, contact your admin.
Make sure the Dropbox desktop app is up to date
Your device settings determine whether you have to manually update your apps or if the apps update automatically. If you need to manually update apps, reinstall the Dropbox desktop app to ensure you’re using the latest version.
If you’re enrolled in a beta or early access version of the Dropbox desktop app, upgrade to the latest stable build of the Dropbox desktop app.
Make sure Dropbox supports your computer and operating system
To make the most of your Dropbox experience and features, ensure that Dropbox supports your device and operating system. Keep your operating system updated to the latest version. Learn more about Dropbox system requirements.
If you’re adding or syncing a large number files, add or sync them in batches
updated by: Eltary 5 days ago10520
updated by: dpcrush2112 9 days ago3689381
updated by: cme2 31 days ago807130