How to manage licenses and storage space for team accounts
This article describes a feature available on Dropbox Standard, Business, Advanced, Business Plus, and Enterprise.
- Pending invites and suspended members are included in a team’s overall license total.
- Inactive licenses aren't automatically removed. Certain types of admins can add or remove licenses in the admin console.
How to add or remove licenses
To add or remove licenses:
- Log in to dropbox.com with your admin credentials.
- Click Admin console.
- Click Billing in the left sidebar.
- Click Manage plan.
- Click Manage licenses.
- Change the number of licenses in the box that appears. When you add licenses, you'll see the price of the license displayed.
- Click Add licenses or Remove licenses.
You can also add licenses from the insights dashboard. Under Licenses remaining, click Add licenses.
- This only applies to teams paying by credit card, PayPal, or direct debit. You can change the number of licenses on your team at any time, however a reduction in licenses will only come into effect on your renewal date. Learn more about billing invoices.
- If you pay by check or manual invoicing, you can add licenses by following these instructions if you have a credit card on file. To remove licenses, contact your Account Manager. Requests to remove or reduce licenses must be made at least 30 days in advance of your renewal date.
- If you pay by check or manual invoicing, you can’t edit invoices or view receipts on dropbox.com. You can request a copy of your invoice by emailing email@example.com.
Storage space by plan type
Dropbox Standard, Business, Advanced, Business Plus, and Enterprise give you file storage for your business needs. The exact amount of storage space available depends on your plan:
- Dropbox Standard: 5 TB of total storage space, shared between the members of your team.
- Dropbox Business: Starting at 9 TB of total storage space, shared between the members of your team.
- Dropbox Advanced: Starting at 15 TB of total storage space, shared among the entire team (5 TB per actively used license with a 3 license minimum).
- Note: An actively used license is when a unique person regularly logs in and uses Dropbox.
- Dropbox Business Plus: 15 TB of total storage space, shared among the entire team (5 TB per actively used license with a 3 license minimum).
- Dropbox Enterprise: If you near your storage limit, we can work with you to accommodate your needs. Learn more about Dropbox Enterprise storage space.
Storage space vs. number of files
The performance of the Dropbox application starts to decline after reaching about 300,000 files. This is a soft limit and depends highly on the hardware specifications of your computer. Some customers are able to have more files without issue. As a hard rule, we recommend never having more than 1 million files on any single computer. This limit is related to the number of files, not to their size.
If this appears to be causing syncing issues, you can use selective sync to select only certain files to sync to your computer, but still have them on dropbox.com and on other computers.
You can also adjust your bandwidth settings to help Dropbox sync faster.
Note: Dropbox accounts with a large number of files may take longer to sync. A delay in syncing or a prolonged sync is not necessarily a sign of a problem.