Certain types of admins can convert a team member's account to an individual account. The team member's account becomes a Dropbox Basic account that is not connected to your team account.
The team member keeps all shared files and folders they had access to before joining the team, and any private files in their account. You will no longer be able to manage their files once their account is converted.
Note: If someone was invited to join the team, but never accepted, you only have the option to delete their account.
Prevent converted team members from retaining access to shared content
If a team member is converted to an individual account, remaining team members will retain access to any folders created and shared directly with them by that leaving team member. If any of those remaining team members are later converted or moved off the team, they will continue to have access to those shared folders from their individual accounts.
To prevent converted members from retaining access to shared content, have the original owner transfer ownership of their folders to a different team member before converting them to an individual account.
How to convert a team member to an individual account
- Converting a team member's account is permanent. After the conversion, you will not be able to restore the account or make any changes.
- Under some circumstances, converted team members may retain access to content that was shared with them by a previous team member. See above to learn how to prevent converted team members from retaining access.
- After converting a team member's account, you can reuse the license they occupied and invite another person to the team.
- Converted team members are displayed as Disconnected in the admin console’s Members page.
To convert a team member’s account to an individual account:
- Sign in to dropbox.com with your admin credentials.
- Click Admin console in the left sidebar.
- Click the Members tab.
- Click the gear icon next to the name of the person you want to remove.
- Select Delete member.
- Click Convert to individual Dropbox Basic account instead.
- Click Convert account.
The team member’s account will be converted to a Dropbox Basic account. If they’d like to upgrade, they can do so from the Upgrade page.