What are parent folders and subfolders?
Parent folder: A folder that contains other folders.
Subfolder: A folder within another folder.
What's the difference between a shared folder and a team folder?
Team folder: Admins can edit team folders from the admin console. You can also restrict access to folders created inside a team folder. Learn how to create a team folder.
Shared folder: Shared folders can’t be edited from the admin console. You can’t restrict access to folders created inside a shared folder. Learn how to create a shared folder.
How does ownership of shared folders work?
If you’re the owner of a shared folder, you automatically own all subfolders contained within it. Even if someone else creates a new subfolder under your parent folder, you’ll automatically own the newly-created subfolder.
If you change the owner of the parent shared folder, the new owner will own the parent shared folder as well as all of its subfolders.
How do I transfer ownership of a shared folder?
Ownership of shared folders must be changed at the parent folder level. Learn how to transfer ownership of a shared folder.
Who has access to my shared content?
Learn how to find who has access to a shared folder and what type of access they have.
Can I move a shared folder into another shared folder?
To move a shared folder into another shared folder, you must own the file or folder you’re moving and have edit access to the destination folder.
Note: You can only move a shared folder into another shared folder on dropbox.com and the Dropbox mobile app.
To move a shared folder into another shared folder:
- Log in to dropbox.com
- Navigate to the shared folder you’d like to move.
- Hover over the shared folder and click the ‘…' (ellipsis).
- Click Move.
- Select the folder you’d like to move the shared subfolder to.
- To browse all folders, click Personal.
- Click Move.
On the Dropbox mobile app
- Open the Dropbox mobile app.
- Navigate to the shared folder you wish you move.
- Tap the ‘⁝' (vertical ellipsis).
- Tap Move.
- You might have to scroll down to see this on iOS.
- Tap the folder you wish to move it to.
- Tap Move.
Can I unshare a shared folder?
You can unshare a folder as long as:
- The folder doesn’t have any shared folders inside of it.
- The folder isn’t inside another shared folder.
Why can’t I create a shared folder?
There’s a limit on the amount of shared folders you can create. If you can’t create a new shared folder, you might have reached the limit.
- Within a single folder, you can create up to 1,500 shared subfolders. This number includes the parent folder itself.
- Within your Dropbox account, you can create up to 30,000 shared folders, including parent folders and subfolders. This number includes parent folders and subfolders.
What can I do if I’ve reached the maximum number of shared subfolders?
If you’ve reached the limit for shared folders you can create in one folder, you can:
- Permanently delete some shared folders inside of it.
- Move some shared subfolders to a new parent folder.
Learn more about moving Dropbox files and folders.